August 30, 2019
August 30, 2019 by Dr. Kyle Varner in Recipes
This delicious keto dish is packed with proteins, healthy fats, and good fiber. It’s a mouthwatering combination of tender salmon fillets, creamy spinach mixture, and delicious garlic butter sauce. The recipe itself is very easy to prepare which makes it an ideal option for a quick and satisfying, low-carb meal.
When buying the salmon fillets, it’s very important to choose thick pieces you can work with. Preparing the salmon pockets for stuffing is another crucial part of this recipe. Make sure to slice each fillet very carefully in right in the center – about a ¾ quarter of the way through. This will give you a nice little pocket you can fill with the spinach and cheese mixture. Cutting all the way through is not a huge mistake but you’ll probably end up with a messy meal with spinach all over the place. You need the fish to hold the ingredients inside. Also, keep in mind that salmon is extremely delicate fish so you will need a good, sharp knife to slice the fillet without it falling apart.
Another step of this recipe includes brushing the fillet with a decent amount of olive oil and lemon juice. This will definitely improve the tender texture of this magnificent fish. You can season the fish with some salt and pepper but you can also add some other herbs or spices of choice – that completely depends on your taste.
As for the filling, a nice combination of healthy spinach, cream cheese, and some parmesan is more than enough. If you like, you can also add some other freshly grated cheese of choice (such as cheddar or mozzarella) or a tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt. Naturally, as with all other fish, garlic is almost an irreplaceable ingredient. You can use freshly crushed garlic or garlic paste – whatever you have on hand.
Finally, prepare a nice garlic butter sauce to complete the overall recipe and serve alone or along with mashed cauliflower or some fresh vegetables. Enjoy!
Creamy Spinach Stuffed Salmon
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 oz frozen spinach thawed
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan
- 2 tsp garlic paste
Garlic butter sauce:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C. Grease a medium baking pan with some olive oil and set aside.
- Rinse fillets under cold running water and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Transfer to a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, slice each fillet about ¾ quarter of the way through creating a pocket. Make sure not to cut all the way to prevent the spinach mixture from falling out.
- In a small bowl, combine together olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Generously brush fillets with this mixture and transfer to the prepared baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine together spinach, cream cheese, parmesan, garlic paste, salt, and pepper. Using a spoon, mix well the ingredients until fully incorporated. Carefully, stuff the previously prepared salmon fillets with the spinach mixture and optionally top with a couple of lemon slices. Bake for 10-15 minutes. When done, remove from the oven and cool for a while,
- Meanwhile, prepare the garlic butter sauce. Add butter to a small frying pan and melt over medium heat. Add garlic paste and lemon juice. Mix all well and briefly cook – for 15-20 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and cool for a while. Drizzle baked salmon with the prepared garlic butter sauce and serve.