October 3, 2019
May 3, 2019 by Dr. Kyle Varner in Recipes
For a while now, I’ve been on the lookout for a perfect low-carb and gluten-free bagel recipe. (Priorities, amirite?)
I have to admit it was a bit challenging to get a nice smooth dough which can easily be formed into smooth, silky bagels.
Most of the usual keto bread recipes are too dense and won’t give you that puffed texture that makes bagels so delicious. That’s why adding a tablespoon of baking powder (even a teaspoon of baking soda along with baking powder won’t hurt) is very important to increase the volume of the dough.
Another important secret to make the perfect bagel dough is that you ‘knead’ to spend enough time kneading it. (I’m a sucker for a bad pun, sorry.)
You really want to incorporate those ingredients into a silky smooth mixture before shaping the bagels. The rest is quite easy. Just brush each with some egg whites for a lovely golden-brown color and bake for 15 minutes (you might want to keep an eye on them while they bake because this delicate dough tends to burn very easily).
The nutritional values of these beautiful little bagels are also quite impressive. With only 2.4 grams of net carbs, they are completely keto-friendly and you’ll get 5.4 grams of protein and 7 grams of fat that your body needs on a keto diet. Feel completely free to increase the serving size to two bagels. If you serve the bagels with some other low-carb foods, you’ll get a truly satisfying and delicious meal!
I was feeling fancy so I decided to serve these bagels with a few slices of smoked salmon, a teaspoon of cream cheese and some salted capers. (Yep, I’m a sucker for a bagel and lox too.)
It’s super easy for you to whip up. Just use a sharp knife to carefully slice each bagel in half and spread the cream cheese over the bagels. Then top with smoked salmon and finish with capers.
Optionally, you can add a few leaves of fresh arugula or some lettuce. The final result – delicious sandwiches that work perfectly for a quick meal or a satisfying snack.
Store any leftover bagels in an air-tight container overnight or freeze them if you don’t plan to eat them the next day. (But let’s be honest, you probably will.) Enjoy!
Low Carb, Keto Bagels
- 1 ½ cup mozzarella shredded
- 1 oz cream cheese
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 egg white
- Sesame seeds optional topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, combine together shredded mozzarella and cream cheese. Microwave for one minute or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Now, add almond flour and baking powder. Vigorously mix with a spoon until fully incorporated. Finally, add one beaten egg and continue to mix until it’s a smooth and sticky dough.
- Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment paper and knead into a smooth bowl. Using a knife, divide the bowl into six equal pieces. Knead each piece into a bowl and then into a log. Press the ends together to form a bagel.
- Transfer bagels to the prepared baking pan and brush each with egg white. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake for 15 minutes.
- When done, remove from the oven and transfer the bagels to a wire rack. Cool to room temperature.