August 15, 2019
May 24, 2019 by Dr. Kyle Varner in Recipes
A good, low-carb pizza crust recipe is a must for all keto followers to get you through those lonely Friday nights so you don’t wake up the next morning feeling like a bloated whale.
The base of this delicious pizza crust is processed cauliflower which is combined with freshly shredded Parmesan, some herbs and spices, and of course, mozzarella to hold the ingredients together.
These simple ingredients will give you a fantastic pizza crust that you’ll use for years to come. As for herbs and spices, feel free to experiment according to your taste or simply add a teaspoon of Italian seasoning to give it that kick of classic flavor.
When preparing cauliflower dough (whether it’s dough for pizza crust or something else), it’s very important to microwave your cauliflower for a couple of minutes and then squeeze out the excess liquid as much as possible. The more liquid you remove, the better the ‘dough’ will be. Then, simply transfer the mixture to a pizza pan lined with some parchment paper and work with your hands to create the crust. If your dough is too sticky, you might want to grease your hands a bit before shaping a crust.
As for the toppings, high-quality, low-carb marinara sauce with some shredded mozzarella and pepperoni (or even some sliced bell peppers) is always a winning combo. Bake for a couple of minutes more – just enough for the mozzarella to melt and serve.
Low-Carb Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- 1 cauliflower head (medium sized)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup parmesan shredded
- ¼ cup mozzarella shredded
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup low-carb marinara sauce
- 1 ½ cup mozzarella shredded
- 1 cup pepperoni slices
- 1 cup bell peppers sliced
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a small pizza pan with some parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut cauliflower into florets and add to a food processor. Process until it resembles rice. Transfer to a microwave-safe dish and microwave for five minutes on high.
- Remove the cauliflower from the microwave and cool to room temperature. Transfer to a kitchen towel and squeeze the liquid out of it. For the best results, give it some good old fashioned elbow grease and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Transfer cauliflower to a bowl and add egg, Parmesan, mozzarella, dried thyme, dried oregano, and garlic powder. Using a kitchen spatula, mix the ingredients until a dough texture forms. Add to the prepared pan and shape the pizza crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top.
- Remove the crust from the oven and optionally top with low-carb marinara, shredded mozzarella, pepperoni, and bell peppers.
- Continue to bake for a couple of minutes more or until the mozzarella has completely melted.