December 11, 2019
July 29, 2019 by Dr. Kyle Varner in Recipes
If you’re anything like me then you’re probably already using cheese to prepare various crispy snacks like crackers and chips. But why not add some little extra effort and transform this simple cheese recipe into wonderful keto tacos you can fill with different taco fillings? Well, you would be surprised how easy the smallest amount of baked cheddar can be turned into crispy taco shells. Something you’re probably missing on your keto diet. The preparation method is very simple as well so give it a try!
When preparing cheddar taco shells, you simply have to add a small pile of shredded cheese onto a large baking sheet lined with some parchment paper. This will prevent the cheese from sticking to the surface of the baking sheet. I like to trace a circle on the parchment to make my shells as even as possible but that’s completely optional. For even crispier shells, sprinkle the cheese all over the desired surface and melt for a couple of minutes or until the cheese start changing its color to light brown. I like to shape my cheese taco shells using nothing but parchment paper. It’s very simple and you won’t end up with any unnecessary mess in the kitchen. However, you can use some wooden spoons to get the same result without any effort. The choice is yours.
A good recipe for tacos is not possible without a taco seasoning which gives the meat its recognizable flavor. I avoid using store-bought ones as they usually contain some sugar. Instead, I prepare my own, homemade taco seasoning by simply combining a couple of classic taco seasoning herbs and spices. That’s the only way to know exactly what you’re eating and the exact nutritional values of your recipe. Furthermore, preparing a homemade taco seasoning takes only a couple of minutes which can be very handy. Store the leftover seasoning in a jar and use another time.
- 9 oz cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- ½ tbsp paprika smoked
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 lb minced beef
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- shredded lettuce
- sliced tomatoes
- shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a medium baking sheet with some parchment paper.
- Add about 1/3 cup of shredded cheese at the center of the baking sheet. Optionally, trace a 6-inch circle on parchment paper and flip it over so it’s easier to keep an eye on the size.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown on the edges. Shape the taco shell using parchment paper and cool for about 5 minutes or until the cheese becomes thick and crispy. Make sure to hold the parchment paper until the cheese has completely cooled. You can also cool the cheese on some wooden spoons suspended by glasses.
- Now, prepare the taco seasoning. In a small bowl, combine all taco seasoning ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the meat and season with 2 teaspoons of taco seasoning. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Fill each taco shell with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and the beef mixture. Sprinkle with some shredded cheese and serve immediately.