October 3, 2019
August 30, 2019 by Dr. Kyle Varner in Recipes
Mac and cheese are one of those comfort foods everybody loves to eat once in a while. However, this high-carb meal is among the first things to go when following a keto diet. Being a huge mac and cheese fan myself, I wasn’t going to give them up without putting a good fight. That’s how I started experimenting with various different recipes and substitutes until I have found one where I can proudly say – this is it! With this easy recipe that uses cauliflower instead of high-carb macaroni, you won’t have to sacrifice the taste and you can enjoy a bowl of good mac and cheese without any fear!
The secret of this recipe lies in various herbs and spices and a good amount of high-quality cheese which give this keto cauliflower mac and cheese a truly fantastic and unique flavor. You can use cooked cauliflower florets, but I like roasting them until lightly golden and tender, about 20 minutes, before use. It’s completely optional but I find the taste much better. In any case, make sure to cool the cauliflower completely before adding the cheese sauce because warm cauliflower sometimes tends to break easily and you might end up with mashed cauliflower.
When preparing the cheese sauce, I like to add some extra cheese and truly feel that wonderful creamy flavor of classic mac and cheese. Optionally, you can add half of the cheese mixture the final baking and reserve the rest for serving.
Keto cauliflower mac and cheese is best when served directly from the oven but they are also perfectly fine the next day. You can even freeze the leftovers and simply microwave them when ready to serve. Enjoy!
Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 1 medium cauliflower head cut into florets
- large pinch salt
- olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp smoke paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup parmigiano reggiano
- 2 oz cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 2 oz colby jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Cut cauliflower head into small florets and add to the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Season with salt and drizzle enough olive oil to coat each piece. Roast for 20 minutes. When done, remove from the oven and cool for a while.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and pour in heavy cream. Add black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, dried oregano, smoked paprika, nutmeg, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, and minced garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in parmesan and cook until the cheese has completely melted. Sprinkle with half of the shredded cheddar cheese and mix well again. Remove from the heat.
- Add chilled cauliflower to a bowl and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar. Stir in shredded mozzarella and cream cheese. Transfer to a small baking pan and top with the cheese mixture and chopped Colby jack cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese has melted.